Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Ingrate Bird moves on up to the East Side...

Twas the night before the next day
and all through the house...
all the creatures were stirring,
except for that mouse (the one Killer Diller struck down last week).

When what did that Ingrate bird and I hear?
Coming from outside, so far yet so near...
I arose from my couch, and answered the call...
and what did I see, on the front porch and all?
A birdcage I saw and stared at in wonder...
as the neighbor explained why she brought it asunder (OK, not sure if this word is right here).
"Tis a Christmas Gift" she said "For Ingrate to enjoy"...
The first gift of the season, for no mere girl or boy.
I thanked her profusely, as Ingrate stood by...
eyeing us both with ingratitude in eye.
Then I compared the two houses, showing the difference...
as Ingrate flew by, showing his INdifference!
New toys and new perches and bigger by far...
with space for a party and room for a bar!
The moment drew near, amidst all the din...
would Ingrate, that Bastard, even go in?
Nervously I watched as Ingrate stood thinking...
taking his time, without even blinking.
Then in shock I groaned as Ingrate chose badly...
and walked to the old cage, and sat there so sadly:
Oh no, said I, this will not do...
That Ingrate will learn to live with the new!
So I placed the cage wisely...
By window with sun,
And slowly but surely, the new cage had won!
Finally, that Ingrate, all tired out...
ventured to new lands,
With hardly a shout!
It didn't take long for Ingrate to explore...
and find his old lover awaiting once more:
I thanked Katelyn again, and asked Ingrate to as well...
but he seemed more interested in loving his bell:
Later on, as I cleaned up, and stored the old house...
Killer Diller arrived, this time with no mouse!
And so dear readers, with this peaceful sight...
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments: