Thursday, February 19, 2009

Strange things are afoot along the beach...

A few months ago, I blogged about my walking path along the beaches and mountains where I live. I even took photos along the way, and commented in the following photo how I was just waiting for someone to drop off the side of the cliffs:
Well, last night I show up to walk and cannot gain access to the beach or trails as someone either jumped or fell 500 feet to their death. Helicopter rescue and recovery was out there removing the body from somewhere along these cliffs:

Very sad if he jumped; I can't help but wonder if it was brought on by a recent layoff or foreclosure in his life. The Bay Area has been very hard hit with layoffs lately, including my own company. Of course, everyone knows that this area ranks the highest in the nation for foreclosures as well. I see the for sale signs everywhere, and they don't come down in a matter of weeks, as they did 4 or 5 years ago!

Howver, if it wasn't suicide....it was a very EXPECTED outcome if it was one of the many dumbasses I see climbing around the edges of those cliffs every weekend (see first photo!). What is it with people who very clearly see the edge of a cliff, and feel the need to get up close and personal with it? I saw this very same behavior at the Grand Canyon. People disregarding the signs (in all languages) telling them that certain death was awaiting them if they went any further off trail. I don't understand the compulsion to tempt death.

What's strange about the death last night is that it's the third one in as many months here, all within a mile of each other along this beach! This little place goes for decades with no drama, and then 3 deaths in a row?
My "Forensic Files" loving nature is curious! Of course I will be walking there again this weekend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

stop walking along the beach!!! you're tempting fate!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny! I like how you posted "Your Mother said" with the comment!